Refugee Ministryshowing the love of jesus to all people
Bridges is River City Christian’s outreach ministry supporting legal refugees in the Sacramento area. In cooperation with World Relief, a Christian resettlement agency, River City Christian regularly sponsors legal refugees coming into the United States. Most of the refugees come from countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Iran and are seeking to escape the violence in their homeland. We assist refugees in the resettlement process, offer English classes and a provide a transition program.
As a body of believers River City Christian has an incredible opportunity to show the love of Jesus in tangible ways to refugee families in Sacramento. Bridges volunteers do this by:
- Setting up apartments prior to a refugee’s arrival
- Greeting refugees at the airport
- Providing transportation to initial appointments at government and school offices
- Accompanying refugees on their first visit to an American grocery store
- Seeking to build lasting relationships with legal refugees
Donations of laptops and computers are regularly needed for refugees. Donated items may be new or used (but in good condition). If you have a laptop or computer to donate, please contact us using the button at the top of the page and include “bridges donation” in the subject line.
English Classes +
River City Christian sponsors a seasonal program on Sunday afternoons to assist refugees with their transition into a new culture. Sessions generally run for about eight weeks followed by a break of a few weeks. Volunteers are needed in the following areas:
- English practice partners
- Tutors for elementary and middle school students
- Resume writing and job search assistance
- Children’s program
- Craft preparation (no need to attend Sunday program)
- Snack donations (no need to attend Sunday program)
If you are interested in helping with the next session of Bridges please contact us using the button at the top of the page and include “Bridges” in the subject line.